Town and harbor located at narrow swathe of land, which connects the peninsula with inland. Ston’s channel connects harbor Ston with open sea. The chief occupations are agriculture, vineyard, grow of olive trees, fishing and tourism. Great conditions for bathing and fishing are at coast near the bridge and in the bay Prapratna.
Historical town Ston is with its city walls and historical-cultural monuments (especially buildings from epoch of Republic of Dubrovnik) is one of the most beautiful places at Adriatic coast. Villages Cesvinica and Gudnja are located near town and there is rich deposit from Neolit epoch - the oldest findigs are from 7th centrury BC. Development of the town began at 14th century, when occupiers from Dubrovnik raised there large locus of salt. The biggest one in Adriatic area was supposed to protecting by defense system. Defense walls were 5,5 km long (preserved 5 km), had 40 towers (preserved 20) and 7 bastions. It included also water main and sewerages (from year 1581). Town had shape of regular hexagon and the system was separated to the 15 regular fields, 10 houses were built in each field. It was possible to get in town just trough two entrances. Besides town was the protection system as four edges forts also between villages Ston, Mali Ston and Veliki Kastel. Above village Mali Ston is fort Koruna, where is beautiful view. For centuries was Ston after Dubrovnik the most important town. That is reason why is presently so historical important. One of the most important sacral buildings is gothic and renaissance Princelly residency. Monastery was built in the year 1347. Church of St. Mihalja from 11th – 12th century is located up the hill Gradac at southwest.